Frequently asked questions



Students covered by MISHP have access to HI (Virtual Health Care), provided by Dialogue. This online platform empowers you to be proactive about your health by allowing you to virtually connect with nurses and physicians via a mobile or web app from anywhere in Canada. Click here for details

Why do I need a Health Plan?

International students must be covered by a primary health-care plan when they arrive in Canada.

To ensure that you can focus on your studies abroad, you will be able to rest easy knowing that Studentcare and Manitoba Blue Cross is insuring your health and well-being.

Without primary health coverage, the high cost of medical services outside your home country could limit your access to the care you need, or leave you with a large debt to pay.

How do I know if I’m covered?

All eligible international students are automatically covered by/enrolled in the Manitoba International Student Health Plan.

What is my Coverage Card?

Your Coverage Card will arrive by email. Please make sure to check your student inbox and junk folder. If you have not received it within 6 weeks of your Coverage period start date, or if you have lost it, please click here to request a new one. You must show it to medical staff to receive care and be eligible for reimbursement.

If you are eligible for the plan but are still waiting for your Coverage Card, you will need to pay up front for any medical expenses you incur during that period. Once you’ve received your Coverage Card, please submit your claim to Manitoba Blue Cross and you will be reimbursed for any eligible expenses.

I lost my coverage card, can I get a new one?

Yes. You can request a new card here

Can I enrol my family?

Yes. You can enrol your family (spouse and/or dependant(s) under age 18) in the plan by paying an additional fee*. Common law couples are eligible.

Dependants must be under age 18 and enrolled within 30 days of the student’s coverage term start date, though their own coverage may begin later. A dependant’s coverage starts at the beginning of their first term (fall, winter, or summer) in Manitoba and continues until the end of the policy year.

Note that children born in Canada are not eligible.

*Coverage fees for dependants vary based on the institution you are studying at and on the coverage length requested.

Click here to add dependants now.


It is mandatory for international students in Manitoba to have primary health coverage. If you were billed for MISHP and are already covered by Manitoba Health, you can opt out by providing proof of coverage.

Opt outs are managed by Studentcare. Contact us by email for more information.

How is this different from the UMSU or ICM Student Health & Dental Plan?

MISHP provides you with primary health coverage, which allows you to access medical services in Canada from doctors, clinics, and hospitals.

The UMSU and ICM Student Health & Dental Plans are supplementary plans available to eligible students at the University of Manitoba and ICM These plans cover benefits not provided by primary health coverage, including services like vision care, dental care, prescription drugs, and physiotherapy.

Manitoba International Student Health Plan (MISHP)
A mandatory basic plan that covers medically necessary services, such as:
• Physician/surgeon
• X-rays/lab testing
• Prescription drugs
• Hospital services
• And more...

UMSU or ICM Student Health & Dental Plan
An extended plan that provides additional coverage for important health-care services, such as:
• Vaccinations
• Psychologists
• Dental exams
• Eyeglasses and contact lenses
• And more...

Check your student account to confirm if you’ve been charged MISHP and/or UMSU or ICM Plan fees, and visit for complete details on what is covered by the UMSU or ICM supplementary plan.


Who is the benefits carrier and the administrator?

Manitoba Blue Cross is the benefits carrier and Studentcare is the administrator of the plan.

How do I submit a claim?

When seeking services from a health and medical provider (e.g. doctor, chiropractor, pharmacist, etc.), please present your Coverage Card and valid photo identification (e.g. student ID card, driver’s license). Providers who are set up for direct billing will not charge you for eligible services. However, if you are charged for services, download, print, and submit the claim form, along with your original receipts, to Manitoba Blue Cross and you will be reimbursed for eligible expenses.

You can submit to Manitoba Blue Cross:

By Mail
Manitoba Blue Cross
PO Box 1046, Stn Main
Winnipeg, MB R3C 2X7

In Person/Dropbox
Manitoba Blue Cross
599 Empress Street
Winnipeg, MB R3G 3P3

Claims will be processed within 15 business days.

Download the claim form here.

What if my claim is rejected?

Call 204-788-6800 to speak with a Manitoba Blue Cross representative about the reason for your claim's rejection, and possibilities for resubmission. Make sure to have your ID and Policy numbers handy.

What is the deadline for submitting claims?

All claims must be received by Manitoba Blue Cross within 6 months of the date of service.


Yes. If you wish to receive your reimbursement by direct deposit, fill out the application by completing the PDF for direct deposits. Download the form here.


Where is my on-campus clinic?

You can receive medical care at any clinic in Manitoba. Please present your Coverage Card and Photo ID upon arrival. Providers who are set up for direct billing will not charge you for eligible services. However, if you are charged for services, submit a claim form, along with your original receipts, to Manitoba Blue Cross and you will be reimbursed for eligible expenses.

You can also visit your on-campus clinic located here:

University of Manitoba
100 University Centre.
Fort Garry Campus
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2

University of Winnipeg
Wellness Centre
Duckworth Centre, Room 1D25
400 Spence Street
Winnipeg, MB R3B 2S4

Can I go to any clinic in Manitoba?

Yes, you can go to any clinic to receive medical care. Make sure to show your Coverage Card and Photo ID.

Still unsure of where to go for treatment?

Knowing where to go may improve your care. Visit for more information.

For further guidance on whether you should visit an emergency department, an urgent care centre, or another resource for regular health-care needs, see below:

For University of Manitoba and ICM students
For University of Winnipeg students
For Brandon University students